$79,170 – 110,837
City of Chandler
January 11, 2022
The City of Chandler Mayor & Council Communications Manager manages the functions of the Mayor and Council Office and fulfills communication needs in our Communications and Public Affairs Department. The Communications Manager uses their passion for collaboration and customer service and experience working with elected officials. This position also works with our communications team to produce social media content, report constituent inquiry trends, promote community initiatives and writes speeches, talking points, columns and briefing summaries for elected officials.
• Manages the staff and functions of the Mayor & Council Office in developing communication strategies and administrative processes to carry out the Mayor and City Council goals and objectives;
• Prepares social media content, correspondence, columns, speeches, and talking points for the Mayor and City Council;
• Produces the Mayor's State of the City event and communication programs, including coordinating topics, guests, and remarks with the Mayor and video production staff;
• Promotes the Mayor and City Council initiatives and implements special projects as directed by the City Manager, Assistant City Manager, the Mayor and/or City Council, or Director of Communications and Public Affairs;
• Builds effective working relationships with elected officials, city leaders and department heads, and other city staff and community representatives;
• Coordinates scheduled public appearances and logistics of City Council meetings with the City Clerk;
• Manages constituent relations by responding to inquiries from the public, finding answers to questions, referring queries to appropriate department or city employee, following-up to ensure issue has been appropriately addressed, and tracking issue responses and trends;
• Ensures accurate and timely information flow between the City Council, City Manager, and City departments;
• Maintains regular contact with the City Manager, Assistant City Manager, Mayor, City Council and Director of Communications & Public Affairs to keep them appraised of constituent inquiries and issues;
Passion for customer service, team work and collaboration.
Experience working with elected officials to produce a variety of communication materials.
Management experience, working in progressively responsible communications or public relations positions.
• Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Management, Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or related field • Seven (7) years of public sector experience, working in progressively responsible communications or public relations positions, including at least two (2) years of supervisory experience and one (1) year of experience with elected officials • Valid Arizona Driver's License with acceptable driving record • Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Matthew Burdick email@example.com 480.782.2232