Provided during phone interview stage
December 6, 2021
Experience Scottsdale is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit, private company that enhances the local community by promoting the Scottsdale area as a luxury destination for meetings, events and leisure travel. The organization has contracts with the city of Scottsdale and town of Paradise Valley to conduct destination marketing efforts on behalf of these municipalities. Experience Scottsdale has 35 full- and part-time employees, along with a volunteer board of directors composed of local hospitality/tourism and business industry leaders.
Our staff brands the Scottsdale area as a world-class destination through advertisements, campaigns, social media and a variety of marketing and sales tactics. We work with meeting planners from all over the world to book their business in Scottsdale. We spread the word about the great things in Scottsdale by garnering media coverage both nationally and internationally. Plus, we teach travel agents how to sell our destination to their clients and work to get Scottsdale information in brochures and promotions.
Note to Potential Candidates
To be considered for this position, you must apply at https://www.careers-page.com/experiencescottsdale. Applications submitted through any other site or system will not be considered.
The Communications Coordinator will assist the communications team in generating and tracking local, national and international publicity for Scottsdale and the organization’s membership; write a variety of releases and pitches adhering to AP style; coordinate press itineraries and execute in-bound media press tours; oversee the team’s media assets and serve as a point person for media; and support day-to-day media relations, newsletters and other communications programs.
The Communications Coordinator works with the Communications Assistant, Communications Manager, Communications Director, and Vice President of Communications.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Writing: Routinely draft press releases and media pitches for distribution. Proofread and edit all outgoing press material for grammar and accuracy. Create and manage the production process for the monthly media newsletter as well as pressroom content updates, under direction of Director of Communications and Communications Manager.
• Media Relations: Write pitches as a response to media queries and identify proactive pitching opportunities. Write recommendation and information emails for journalists, fact check and provide digital assets. Serve as the first responder to photo and b-roll requests. Manage press release distribution on platforms such as Cision and TravMedia.
• Research & Reporting: Research industry trends for press releases and pitches. Identify key media in target markets for proactive outreach, and create and update media lists. Assist with pulling clips and other relevant department reports and samples. Assist Communications Manager with sending media coverage in a timely manner to stakeholders.
• Group & Individual Press Tours: Assist with the coordination of media itineraries as directed, including drafting and disseminating media leads, securing itinerary components and communicating with media directly. Meet with media during press tours, which may include some evenings and weekends. Conduct press tour follow up including monitoring media coverage, thank you notes and traces.
• Media Missions/Trade Shows: On occasion, develop visual presentation (theme, props, table décor) and pitch angles for media marketplace participation. Develop key talking points for media mission/trade show events. Ensure materials are up to date including releases, press kit and iPad/visuals. Assist the team with media mission follow up and media correspondence. Assist in coordinating media events in target markets by researching media to invite, venues and collecting member information. May include some minimal travel for missions and trade shows.
• Social Media Support: Assist/support team with recaps of social coverage from individual and group influencer press trips. Under direction of Communications Manager, vet, provide feedback and approve/deny incoming influencer and blogger inquiries.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
This position requires:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent editing skills
• Great attention to detail
• Being organized
• A strong work ethic
• A sense of urgency
• Anticipating needs and self-starting
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with media
• The ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and deadlines
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office or related software and AP style
• The ability to effectively use social media
• Experience working with Cision or other media databases
• Experience working with PowerPoint
• Experience working with BurellesLuce or similar media clipping services
• Administrative support activities including report preparation and data entry
Education & Experience Bachelor’s degree required in a related field such as journalism, public relations, marketing or communications. Minimum of one year of experience in communications or public relations, including internships.
Supervisory Responsibility None. Work Environment & Physical Demands This job includes both work in an office setting and remote work. It also requires active participation in outside meetings and destination activities, as well as travel-related work. This role routinely uses standard office equipment and requires prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Position Type & Expected Hours of Work This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. However, frequent evening and weekend work is required as job duties demand. This position requires up to 5% travel. Equal Employment Opportunity Our visitors come from all walks of life and so do we. As an equal opportunity employer, Experience Scottsdale is committed to creating a diverse environment that allows our employees to learn, develop and grow. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Experience Scottsdale will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. Experience Scottsdale does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or any other characteristic protected by law. Other Duties Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. To Apply To be considered for this position, you must apply at https://www.careers-page.com/experiencescottsdale. Applications submitted through any other site or system will not be considered.